Search This Blog

Friday, July 29, 2016

David: A Model of Servanthood

2 Samuel 7:8-17

“Now then, tell my servant David, ‘This is what the Lord Almighty says: I took you from the pasture, from tending the flock, and appointed you ruler over my people Israel. I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have cut off all your enemies from before you. Now I will make your name great, like the names of the greatest men on earth. 10 And I will provide a place for my people Israel and will plant them so that they can have a home of their own and no longer be disturbed. Wicked people will not oppress them anymore, as they did at the beginning 11 and have done ever since the time I appointed leaders over my people Israel. I will also give you rest from all your enemies.
“‘The Lord declares to you that the Lord himself will establish a house for you: 12 When your days are over and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, your own flesh and blood, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I will punish him with a rod wielded by men, with floggings inflicted by human hands. 15 But my love will never be taken away from him, as I took it away from Saul, whom I removed from before you. 16 Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before me; your throne will be established forever.’”
17 Nathan reported to David all the words of this entire revelation.
NIV from www.biblegateway.com

    From his days as a simple shepherd boy to the time he was a heroic ruler, David served God in many capacities. By looking at the various states of his life, we can clearly see how his godly devotion allowed the Lord to use him mightily.
   SHEPHERD. David was anointed as king long before commanding anything other than sheep (1 Sam. 16:1-13). Shepherding was a job he took so seriously that he even killed a lion and a bear to protect his flock. During those days, he learned to be strong and brave, and to take care of creatures weaker than himself. An early life of obedience to his earthly father taught him the humility he would later need in order to depend on his heavenly Father.
   PSALMIST. David's writings reveal his hunger for God. He is open about issues such as fear, depression, defeat, loneliness, and sorrow. By describing valley experiences and communing with the Lord in the night watches, David provided us with intimate glimpses of the God he knew so well.
   LEADER. Following his encounter with Bathsheba, David's life was plagued by heartache, suffering, and conflict. He'd sinned greatly, but God forgave him and continued to use him as king and military commander. He ruled Israel for 40 years, and his people called Jerusalem the "City of David." His restoration teaches us about sin's consequences and God's limitlessness grace.
   King David served God's purpose when he lived, and his impact continues thousands of years later - every follower of Jesus Christ has been blessed by David's obedience, service, and literary skill. He is a great example of what God can accomplish through us if we yield our lives to Him. 
Stanley, Charles F. "David: A Model of Servanthood." In Touch: Daily Readings For Devoted Living. April 2016. page 24. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment