Search This Blog

Friday, May 20, 2016

Our Way or God's Way

EXODUS 2:11-25

   Whenever challenges come into our life, there are two ways we can respond: God's way or our way. Moses is an example of a man who, on separate occasions, tried out both options. In today's passage, we see him taking matters into his own hands. Although his motives were pure - namely, the relief of one Hebrew man's suffering - his method was wrong. Moses made three mistakes.

  1. He focused on the difficulty. How often have you and I done the same thing?The unfairness or pain of a situation grabs our attention and in our desire for a solution, we forget our all-powerful God.
  2. He relied on his own strength and understanding. When a problem arises, the most natural response is to do what we can to make it right. However, God wants us to rely on Him, not on ourselves.
  3. He acted impulsively. If a situation seems urgent, fixing the problem as fast as possible becomes our top priority. In our hastiness, we forgo waiting on the Lord.

   We've all followed Moses' example at some point and suffered the consequences of self-reliance. But God didn't reject Moses or cancel His plans for him. Instead, He refined the future leader's character through trials and gave him another chance. The Lord will do the same for us.
Stanley, Charles F. In Touch: Daily Readings for Devoted Living. February 2016. Atlanta. page 8.

In the name of Jesus, I refuse to be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs]. I submit to transformation by the [entire] renewal of my mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that I may prove [for myself] what is Your good and acceptable and perfect will, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [n Your sight for me]. My path is growing brighter and brighter until it reaches the full light of day as I follow You. Thank You, Father that Jesus was made unto me wisdom. Confusion is far from me. I trust in You and lean not to my own understanding. As I acknowledge You in all my ways, You direct my paths. I believe that as I trust in You completely, You will show me the path of life. Amen.
Romans 12:2; Proverbs 4:18; Proverbs 3:5-6
Copeland, Germaine. Prayers that avail much: A 365 Day Devotional & Journal. Tulsa, OK: Harrison House. 2010. page 36.

No comments:

Post a Comment