Search This Blog

Monday, December 19, 2016

"The Way of Holiness" by Stephen F. Olford review




 The Way of Holiness by Stephen F. Olford
  “To the glory of God, I now know that ‘there is no demand made on my life, which is not a demand on the life of Christ in me.’ The Lord Jesus Christ is totally adequate. It is not Jesus plus; it is Jesus period! Everything is in Jesus, and Jesus is everything! We must go and tell a church of defeated Christians that there is victory in Jesus! The Highway of Holiness is mapped out for every one of us, and the signposts are clearly visible. Let us tread the pathway with disciplined obedience ‘til we see our Savior face to face. Paul, the apostle, said it long ago: ‘As you have…received Christ Jesus the Lord, SO WALK IN HIM’ (Col. 2:6)”

This is the last paragraph from the author, Stephen F. Olford.

The Signpost of Christ-Centeredness
Galatians 2:20-3:7
  “The greatest moment in my life was when I discovered that God expects nothing more or less of Stephen Olford than abject failure! And, even more importantly, only one Person can live the Christian life, and that is Christ Himself; and only as I trust Him to live His life in me, can I possibly live the quality of life that satisfies the heart of God and challenges the world in which I witness…”
   Dr. Olford goes on to write about the termination of the self-life,…
Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
Oh, to be lost in Thee;
Oh, that it may be no more I,
But Christ that lives in me.
A.A. Whiddington
and  the substitution of the Christ-life,…
Moment by moment I’m kept in His love,
Moment by moment I’ve life from above;
Looking to Jesus till glory does shine,
Moment by moment, O Lord, I am Thine.
Daniel W. Whittle

   ‘Without me,’ said Jesus, ‘you can do nothing’ (John 15:5). But by His indwelling, through the power of the Holy Spirit, He is adequate. Only one Person in the whole world lived the Christian life, and that was Jesus. There is only one Person who can live the Christian life now, and that is Jesus. Therefore, exchange all your strivings and defeats in the flesh for His life in you. Make your motto and motivation, ‘not I, but Christ.’ This is Christ-centeredness!”

At the end of each section there are questions for further study. A few of the questions for this section are:

  •   Who alone can live the Christian life? How does that truth affect your efforts to live as a Christian? Be practical and specific.
  •   In what sense did you die with Christ on the cross? How does this fact affect the way you approach temptations? (see Rom. 6:11)
  •   What are some characteristics of the new life we have in Christ? (See 2 Peter 1:4; Heb. 12:14; Rom. 8:37.) How do we get these qualities?
  •   How do we appropriate the Christ-life? (See Gal. 2:20) How does this work? If you can, give an example from your own life.


Other Signposts to Guide Us included in this book are:

  •   The Signpost of SinfulnesS
  • James 4:13-17, Galatians 5:16:23
  •   The Signpost of Forgiveness
  •  1 John 1:5-2:2
  •   The Signpost of Holiness
  • 1 Peter 1:13-15
  •   The Signpost of Yieldedness
  • Romans 14:1-12
  •   The Signpost of Spirit-fullness
  • Ephesians 5:15-21
  •   The Signpost of Usefulness
  • John 9:1-7
  •   The Signpost of Readiness  
  • Luke 21:20-36



No comments:

Post a Comment